This week on LDK, we have a wonderful time talking with Laura VanArendonk Baugh (try saying that three times fast!) We managed to get a few details about ancient Japanese culture, of which, Laura seems to be a near-expert on.
- Kitsune is a fox spirit, hence the foxes on the covers of her books.
- The folklore roots within her books, including some loose relation to Pokemon.
- Laura thinks our favorite character question is a mean question to ask!
- Kitsune-Tsuki was written in one sitting (!!!).
- Laura defines our superhero question in an interesting way.
- We introduce a new question!
- Aaron gives his opinion on what the best of the Star Trek movies is. (May or may not be what you expect!)
- We nearly kill Aaron with Laura’s response to plotting problems. Laura definitely had us in stitches with this one.
- We talk Scrivener, which we’re delighted to find she makes use of it, though not 100% of the time.
- Laura’s winning editing process.
- Laura’s reasons for eating chocolate!
- Training your subconscious.
- The non-coffee-drinking writers!
- Crazy research–and how it’s paid off in Laura’s life! (And don’t Google search the one thing she mentions!)
- Some of Laura’s marketing techniques (hint: a lot of it has to do with personality!)
Laura VanArendonk Baugh
Buy her books!
Dave Duncan (The Gilded Chain)
Susan Spann (Shenobi Mysteries)