We had John Brhel on with us in these episodes. He was a bit of an unknown to us, but we had a lot of fun hanging out with him and talking about Marvelry’s Curiosity Shop. He’s part of a writing duo with Joseph Sullivan and they tend to write horror. Marvelry’s Curiosity Shop definitely has a horror vibe to it even though it’s more paranormal fantasy, but also a lot of human interest.
- The influences that helped create Doctor Marvelry and Marvelry’s Curiosity Shop.
- Some of the history that helps color the stories.
- Fun things John and Joe had to research!
- Does Indiana Jones qualify as a superhero?
- Read free books by the dead guys, but buy indie author’s books!
- Liberty somehow makes a connection to one of John’s upcoming books and the Village People (listen to see if you can follow her logic!)
- Not getting boxed in by outlines.
- Working with a co-writer.
- Knocking out drafts in a day or two.
- Writing with infants (and how that affects writing software choice!)
- On the fly research.
- Real-time editing with a co-writer.
- Various techniques to overcome writer’s block
- Liberty learns that there’s such a thing as video game soundtracks!
- How John’s day job influences his marketing, and some of his tips and tricks to market his books.
- Things you shouldn’t be doing as authors when you’re marketing.
John on Twitter
John & Joe’s Website (Cemetery Gates Media)
Marvelry’s Curiosity Shop
At the Cemetery Gates
Stephen King’s Needful Things
Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Nickelodeon Show)
M.R. James (Early 20th century ghost stories)
King Solomon’s Mine (H. Rider Haggard)
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Christopher Walken’s reading of “The Raven”
Edgar Allen Poe
Leave a Reply