On this episode, we have Paul Smith, friend of previous guests, CW Briar and Jon Brhel. He’s author of Jason and the Draconauts!
Paul Smith lives in upstate New York with his wife and two sons, where he works with emotionally disturbed and mentally ill children. He earned a master’s degree in social sciences from Binghamton University in 1999. A lifelong love of science fiction, fantasy, and superhero stories influences Paul’s writing. His most recent work was a popular weekly online series that generated over 20,000 views. Jason and the Draconauts is his first novel.
In Episode 69:
- Writing for your kids
- Creating dragons! Who’s going to argue with a dragon?
- D&D’s influence in Paul’s writing
- How to NOT plagiarise
- Aaron wants to read a story about Captain America riding a dragon
- Does the TARDIS have a loading bay?
- Black Ops Helicopters
- Sean Connery
In Episode 70:
- The pitfalls of pantsing
- The guys give Liberty a hard time for ditching her outline
- Liberty keeps bringing up Scrivener…
- Bluetooth keyboards!
- Why reading out loud is an important editing tool.
- Paul’s techniques for battling writer’s block and why he hates frustration.
- Paul’s thoughts on conventions and selling books on them.
- Whether FB ads are worth the paper they’re printed on…
- Including fandom quotes in our books!
- What do your books teach you in the course of the writing?
- Get words on paper