This week, we have Kristen Stieffel, author of the debut novel, Alara’s Call.
Kristen Stieffel is a freelance writer and editor specializing in science fiction and fantasy. She’s the associate editor of Havok, a flash fiction magazine focused on the speculative genres. Kristen provides author mentoring and a full range of editorial services in multiple genres for both the general market and the Christian submarket. Kristen is a member of the Editorial Freelancers Association and Christian Editor Connection and is a Word Weavers International mentor.
In Episode 67:
- Kristen’s impetus for writing Alara’s Call.
- How President Dwight Eisenhower factors in to Kristen’s book.
- Kristen admits how long it took to write the book.
- How her setting was designed to fit the story.
- Mentor characters yelling at the main character’s father!
- How long does it take to cremate a horse? (Aaron isn’t telling PETA.)
- We get into an argument about Kristen’s favorite spec fic quote.
- Aaron refrains from going full über-nerd! (We’re all grateful.)
In Episode 68:
- Plotting! Pantsing! Who knows?! Start with the end in mind.
- He said WHAT?!
- Writing out of order.
- How do you K.O. a piece of paper?
- All hail the wonders of Scrivener!
- How MCs can change in the course of the book.
- Hurricane brain
- Write through the crap!
- Snacking! Tea!
- Classical Crossover music
- Kristen’s longest trip for a writer’s conference.
- Why do people complain about book prices?
- Gotta have the big parts in your novel first.