We’ve got some great insight into intellectual property law with attorney Steve Fairchild. It may sound boring, but as authors, it’s important we understand at least a little bit about the law.
We start things out with an overview of what’s encompassed in intellectual property, and then it really gets fun!
In Episode 76:
- How biology degrees relates to intellectual property
- How Steve gets his clients
- Can you use the term “lightsaber™” in your book?
- Does I.P. law translate to other countries?
- Finding an I.P. attorney…and do you need one?
- What’s the difference between an I.P. attorney and an agent?
- When does copyright exist?
- Do you need to file your copyright with the copyright office?
- What happens when your work has been pirated?
- Can I.P. law be funny?
- How Steven actually informed an episode of Suits–and how they got it wrong!
- What Steven finds frustrating in fiction about the law
- Bunny trails!
- Do I need to copyright my idea formally with the copyright office?
- Fair use law
- Steve’s advice on courtroom scenes
- Steve’s favorite movies about legal stuff